Loading Catalog: Resource Not Available

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
cud

Loading Catalog: Resource Not Available

Post by cud »

I work at a company that controls our version of oXygen Author -- Currently 24.1. I was also required to update my mac OS to 12.6 Monterey. Since the update, Author does not recognize my DITA public identifiers. No topic, no map. As a result, no WISIWYG, no transform projects (and more).

I set up verbose mode for catalog errors. On loading a file, here's the first error (of ~100):

Code: Select all

Description: Loading catalog: [file:/Applications/DITATools/oxygenAuthor/frameworks/ibmdita/DITA-OT/catalog-dita.xml]  Resource - Not available System ID - not available
I look at the files and they exist with .dita extensions. So I copied the catalog files and saved with .xml extensions. I still get the same error, even though the file does exist.

I don't understand why Author is looking for .xml files, but on my system they are .dita files. Could an OS upgrade have possibly made that change? (Somehow I doubt it.) And I have no idea how to troubleshoot further. I am very hobbled by this. I can still edit in code view. But I can't generate output, I don't get code-completion features, and every DITA file has a general error that makes any other validation errors opaque.

Any ideas?
Radu

Re: Loading Catalog: Resource Not Available

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Indeed IBM customizes our Oxygen installation kit a lot and we do not control what it does. Ideally IBM should help you with such IBM specific customization problems.

Just some remarks which may or may not be useful to debug this on your side further:

So you just updated your operating system, right? And afterwards you did not update or re-install Oxygen from the IBM installation web site, right? And the XML Author application worked in the older OS version.
You have an XML Author installation folder located in "/Applications/DITATools/oxygenAuthor", right? And you start XML Author from that folder...
And you get this error reported by Oxygen:
"/Applications/DITATools/oxygenAuthor/frameworks/ibmdita/DITA-OT/catalog-dita.xml] Resource - Not available System ID - not available"
You mentioned:
I look at the files and they exist with .dita extensions.
What do you mean by that, was there a file named "/Applications/DITATools/oxygenAuthor/frameworks/ibmdita/DITA-OT/catalog-dita.dita" in that folder instead of being named "catalog-dita.xml"? And you changed the name of "catalog-dita.dita" to "catalog-dita.xml"? The Mac OS Finder has a "Preferences" dialog with an "Advanced" tab where you can check a checkbox to show all file extensions, maybe this will help you double check this. Because the name of that file should be "catalog-dita.xml" unless it was explicitly renamed at some point.
How about if you move the entire folder "/Applications/DITATools/oxygenAuthor" to your "Desktop" and start the XML Author application from there? Maybe somehow the started Oxygen application has no rights to read content from the "/Applications/DITATools/oxygenAuthor" folder ...
How about if you move the entire "DITATools/oxygenAuthor" to Trash and re-install XML Author from the IBM web site?

Also in the Oxygen main menu "Options" you can invoke the "Reset global options" action if you want Oxygen to return to its original settings, just in case some setting in Oxygen may interfere with this.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
cud

Post by cud »

Did I post this to the wrong forum? Did I misinterpret the use of the term "framework"? (Since catalogs seem to be related to "frameworks")
cud

Post by cud »

Thanks Radu... I'll try some of these things. It will take a little time...

Indeed, I can see file extensions, and for some reason the catalog files all have a .dita extension, and NOT a .xml extension. I never looked before the OS upgrade, so I don't know what they were before. This is truly weird IMO.

Yes, IBM controls our environment, but I see this no matter which DITA OT that I set up in preferences... Built-in or the ibm version.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Sure, we'll keep in touch. I also
For example a stock version 24.1 of Oxygen XML Author downloaded from our official web site has a DITA Open Toolkit distribution in "OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT3.x" which has an XML catalog named "OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT3.x/catalog-dita.xml". I expect that the custom DITA OT publishing engine contributed inside the custom Oxygen version "oxygenAuthor/frameworks/ibmdita/DITA-OT/" to contain the same file named "catalog-dita.xml". Unless somehow files got renamed.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
cud

Post by cud »

Thanks Radu... A fresh install did the trick. I used the IBM process, and it all seems to be what's expected. An added bonus, the update seems to have respected all my earlier configurations (custom tools, scenarios, etc.). Gotta love the product for that alone!

But... What in the world would cause an OS update to corrupt the installation? And how did the .xml files get changed over to .dita?!?!? And they say there's no magic in the world.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,
I'm glad this works for you now.
Oxygen keeps its global settings in a special folder in the Mac OS Preferences folder, so they remain persistent even if Oxygen is-reinstalled.
I do not know how those resources got renamed to have the ".dita" extension.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor