Stack Overflow On Eclipse Plugin 2.x

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
bwinspur

Stack Overflow On Eclipse Plugin 2.x

Post by bwinspur »

The following xsl element validates without error.

<xsl:variable name="chartWidth" select="(($finalYr - $firstYr) * $yrWidth) + $nmWidth"/>

This one causes a stack overflow on validate:

<xsl:variable name="chartWidth" select="(($finalYr-$firstYr) * $yrWidth) + $nmWidth"/>

Note the lack of spaces on either side of the '-' sign. I'd prefer a syntax error warning. :(
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Thank you for your post.
The validation of an XSL document is done by creating the Transformer object for that stylesheet. The StackOverflowException appears when we try to create the Transformer so I'm affraid there is not much we can do here except maybe to allow the user to configure the XSLT processor to be used for validation as we do for transfromations, now Xalan is used for validation. Saxon does not produce the StackOverflowException and will just report an error in this case.

Best Regards,
George
bwinspur

Post by bwinspur »

If I understand, you are saying that the stack overflow occurs in the xslt processor (saxon or xalan), which should produce a syntax diagnostic in this case, and that the problem is not an OxygenXml problem. Right?

I find that configuring Saxon or Xalan in the transformation dialog produces the same error when validation is subseqently attempted, which seems to differ from your finding, that saxon does not produce the error.

Incidentally, is there a way for a user to display the version numbers of xslt processors used by Oxygen?
Bill W.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Bill,

What I tried was a transformation with Saxon and it reported an error. The first step in applying a transformation is to create the Transformer object so this is why I think Saxon will work ok if it will be used for validation. Currently Xalan is used vor validation irrespective of your configured scenarios - actually the validation and transformation operations are not related, you can validate an XSL even if you do not have a transformation defined.

Best Regards,
George